Advanced Life Support Course
Appropriate participants include Doctors, Paramedics and Nurses working in acute care areas (e.g. ED, CCU, ICU, HDU, operating theatres, acute medical admissions units) or on resuscitation/medical emergency/ICU outreach teams.
All applicants must hold a professional healthcare qualification or be in training for a professional healthcare qualification.
Life Support - 1-Day Course
We can adjust this face-to-face programme to suit the needs of the group and it can be complemented with a range of other courses. This is not a RCUK Course.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who would be expected to apply the skills taught as part of their clinical duties, or to teach them on a regular basis.
At least 15 contact hours
Assessment is continuous
Delegates who successfully complete the course will be given a certificate of attendance.
- Knowledge of the incidence and causes of sudden death in adults.
- Recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using an A-E approach.
- Understand Advanced Life Support (ALS) guidelines in adults.
- Demonstrate confident and safe practice of ALS in adults.
- Understand principles surrounding defibrillation.
- Recognise cardiac arrest and peri-arrest ECG rhythms including 12 lead.
- Understand safe principles and techniques for airway management.
- Demonstrate safe & effective airway management including the use of airway adjuncts, e.g. Igel.
- Knowledge of what drugs are used and when.
- Demonstrate safe & effective leadership working within a multidisciplinary team in a simulated emergency scenario.
Course Structure and Programme
Course manuals are provided pre-course to enable candidates to develop core knowledge. The course is very practical in nature and the learning environment is both supportive and fun. This delivers the skills and confidence to manage a situation in real life.
All candidates will receive a post-course pack with a host of resources to help them assimilate the knowledge and skills. This includes course slide set, personal resuscitation mask and medical emergencies flow charts to use as an aide-memoire after the course.