IMPORTANT! The half-day recertification ILS/PILS course is only available to those within one year of the expiry of their Resuscitation Council (UK) ILS/PILS certificate.
The course provides refresher training in basic life support skills including defibrillation and basic airway adjuncts, which can be used to help save lives prior to the arrival of the ambulance/cardiac arrest team. Delegates will also be given training in participating as a member of a cardiac arrest team.
If more than a year has elapsed since the expiry of the ILS/PILS certificate, the full ILS/PILS course must be attended. We may ask to see evidence of current ILS/PILS certification to ensure our recertification courses adhere to this RCUK requirement.
The course content is in accordance with the current Resuscitation Council UK guidelines.
Delegates who successfully complete the course will be awarded a Resuscitation Council (UK) ILS/PILS certificate valid for 1 year.
Our recertification course has been designed to reinforce the original learnings of the ILS/PILS course.
During the ILS course, you will develop the skills to:
- recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using the ABCDE approach;
- identify the causes and promote the prevention of cardiopulmonary arrest;
- undertake the skills of quality CPR and defibrillation (manual and/or AED) and simple airway manoeuvres;
- utilise non-technical skills to facilitate initial leadership and effective team membership.
The PILS course teaches the knowledge and skills to:
- understand the structured ABCDE approach that facilitates rapid recognition of seriously ill children;
- provide appropriate initial treatment interventions to prevent cardiorespiratory arrest;
- treat children in respiratory or cardiorespiratory arrest until the arrival of a resuscitation team or more experienced assistance;
- become an effective team member who can respond appropriately in an emergency.
At Least 4 contact hours
Assessment is continuous
Course Structure & Programme
Both the ILS and PILS courses are delivered via interactive lectures, workshops and practical simulations to update your knowledge and skills gained from your initial course.